We did a lot of research before we selected Bamboo Silk, being a responsible brand is key to what we do and sourcing truly sustainable fabrics is actually really hard to do. Nothing is perfect but we felt that on balance bamboo silk came out ahead of most other alternatives.
Bamboo silk fabric is a premium-quality material that is extremely soft, breathable, and anti-bacterial. It is made from regenerated wood fibre that is taken from bamboo stalks. Due to its sustainable credentials; bamboo absorbs five times more carbon dioxide and 35% more oxygen than similar plants, and how fast bamboo grows… Bamboo fabric is becoming an increasingly popular fabric in the fashion and accessories world because it grows in abundance and is regarded as a renewable fabric meaning it can be replaced after use.
Bamboo silk is a cruelty-free alternative to traditional silk. Most silk is sadly made by using live silkworms that are boiled in hot water. The benefit of using clean bamboo fabrics is that they solely use the pulp that comes from bamboo to achieve the same silky texture without harm to insects or the environment.
Here are 5 key advantages of bamboo silk fabric;
- Bamboo fabric is luxuriously soft, so soft that it feels like it lightly floats on your skin. This is due to the smooth round structure of the bamboo fibre, which has no sharp or rough elements that could cause irritation.
- Bamboo fabric offers excellent ventilation thanks to microscopic holes in the fibre. This keeps you feeling fresh for longer, meaning you have to wash your clothes less. Ultimately, less washing helps clothes last longer, key to a sustainable wardrobe.
- These same thermoregulatory properties of bamboo fabric also helps keep you warmer in winter, making bamboo a performance material for any weather. This is due to its cross sectional fibres which helps keep heat in on colder days, ensuring bamboo is warmer than cotton when the temperature drops.
- Natural bamboo is hypoallergenic, making it perfect for sensitive skin as it does not cause allergic reactions. As a rule of thumb for those prone to sensitive skin, you should always look for the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 label which ensures no trace harmful materials are left in the fabric.
- Bamboo fabric has anti-bacterial, properties meaning that your top will stay fresh for longer as the fibre helps fight odours. As we well know, less washing helps your clothes last longer, making your closet more eco-friendly.